lørdag den 15. maj 2010

The Bible belt!

After the great time in Colorado I now went to St. Louis, Missouri. Here I had mixed experiences.

1.) Great history, an important factor in the expansion of the USA in the start 1800's. The fact that I had no idea about how important this city was surprised me a lot and gave me a load of more information about this country.
2.) Bad environment between people in the city.
3.) I was the only person at my hostel, except a homeless man, and the drunk, farting owner, who only could talk about his vegetables he was growing. Great experience as this was my first trip alone on my whole journey after Mads went home.

So apart from the museums in this city, and the zoo, St. Louis doesn't have that much to offer. I therefore traveled through some of the most religious states in the US to reach Nashville, Tennessee. On the bus ride I noticed signs along the road as "Jesus saves". "Say no to abortion" and all kind of trap. I had a way better time in Nashville, which is just a very cool city by it self with non stop music, happy people and a lot of sights. The city is called "Music City" and right so, as this is the home town for country music. The hostel here was amazing as well, where I got the lucky opportunity to meet Abby, who I went sightseeing with and ended up traveling with to New Orleans. In Nashville we were under this curse, where everything we talked about happened later the same day... Very weird.
In Nashville the hostel arranged a trip on Sunday to go a church down on Broadway - it was a bar, that had a priest playing the guitar and praying, and playing religious songs. all very entertaining. We saw one of the performers later on the same stage very drunk. Religious alright...

In Nashville I finally got the chance to talk football again, as I might an Italian guy named Edoardo, who knew everything about Italian football as well. After 1,5 months in a country, where the call the sport "soccer" (sorry,wtf?!) this was a relief.

After Nashville I got a ride with an Australian guy called Neil to Memphis, where we on the way stopped by Jack Daniel's distillery. On the trip to Memphis I saw more religious signs such as "Vote JESUS at next election", "We and God support our troops!" and "God doesn't want your prayers, he wants your obedience". Sometimes quite scary...

We met up with Abby again in Memphis and we went straight to hear some music here as well. After a load of country music in Nashville we now ended up in the blues city of Memphis.

The next day Abby and I went to the Civil Rights Museum, which was located at the motel where Martin Luther King Jr. was shot and killed. A very weird place to be, as you get the chance to stand right next to the same spot as he got shot. After seeing thousands of pictures and video clips of this during the tour in the Museum, this was a very weird moment. We also saw the bus Rosa Parks sat in the day she didn't stand up for the whites in the bus. By far the best museum I've been to so far.

After this we met up with Neil again and went to Graceland! Elvis' house. We didn't only get to see his impressive (though not as big and glamorous as I'd expected) but also his huge car collection and his two airplanes. I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but this was great!

We traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana after Memphis, where we had to drive through Mississippi. Some days before there had been a tornado here, and we crossed paths with its route where it had destroyed woods. Massive stuff.

FORZA LAZIO!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar